Saturday, July 26, 2014

Loutet Farm and Jerry's Garden in North Vancouver


My friend Jasna and I visited Loutet farm and Jerry's garden to do some bee watching and we saw some lovelies, including this male bumblebee--the lightest greyest bumblebee I have ever seen. I think he's a newborn bee.


He was very interested in the cosmos.


 Later we spotted a beautiful large queen which may be his mother. She was very blonde, very calm and methodical, sipping each floret in this sunflower. I think she's a Bombus flavifrons dimidiatis.


I was happy to see some of the tiny bees in the anise hyssop, which gives me even more reason to recommend it as a great bee plant.


 The cilantro blossoms were covered in little bees.


 The goldenrod hosted the most variety of insects.


I have a lot of time for Sneezeweed.


This is more like the B. flavifrons I'm used to seeing, more specifically B. flavifrons flavrifrons. (Try saying that ten times in a row.)

No comments:

Post a Comment